mimiwontonknits

Monday, June 18, 2007

Curious new friend, New toy & Knitting Guild

I can't believe it has been less than a week since I made a post! So much has been going on it seems like a month ago!
DH and I picked up a new "friend" on Friday. When I was a teenager my Dad was a traveling salesman. He used to pick up turtles when he saw them on the road and bring them home. I don't know for sure just how many turtles we had in our backyard, but it was a lot! We even had several babies show up after a while! I used to feed them canned dog food from a spoon. It was really a fun thing to watch....I would go out on the patio, tap the spoon on the concrete and they would come running....yes turtles can run.....and eat the dog food right from the spoon in my hand! I told Savy that story one time and she has been begging Poppy to pick up turtles for her ever since. Well, when we went to pick up our new-to-us motorhome on Friday and walked out the door to drive it home, there was a turtle sunning right behind the motorhome! We got a box and brought him home. Haven't been able to get him to eat anything yet, but the other "kids" were sure curious about him!

We finally had to make Stoneleigh come in the house because he wouldn't leave the poor little guy alone!! Am going to go pick up a can of the really cheap-0 canned dog food today to see if I can start training him to eat from a spoon too!


After picking up the new RV, Amanda and I went shopping for the stuff to "make it a home!" I had a lot of surplus stuff already but we did need a few things to get it set up for our first trip. We are all really excited about it and I know we are going to have so much fun! We had it at the house off and on all week-end loading stuff in it and sanitizing the water system, etc. We grabbed some burgers Friday night and ate our first meal in it. Savy was here and she thinks it is just about the coolest thing she has ever seen......we couldn't get her out of it...lol! She has her own set of crayons, markers and color books that will stay in it and she has her own little shelf where they all go! She can't wait until we go on a trip and spend the night in it!


We are going out in it this next week-end by ourselves to figure out how to work everything before we take anyone else along....there is a lot to learn! We are really pleased with it at this point! It is almost 20 years old and so far we have only found two really minor problems with it....the main stuff or big stuff all works just great....and it is in great condition!! I wish we could just hop on it it and take off today...lol!

The plan is to take off Saturday evening after Daxton's 1st birthday party. We are just going to a nice little park close to Stillwater so we can get there quickly and get set up before dark...since we don't know what we are doing yet...lol! Here are a few pics of the inside:






















On Saturday Amanda and I went to our sweepstaking group meeting. We hosted the meeting and had a gift basket auction. It ended up being fun and we raised $217 for our group! The group picks a "charitable cause" every year that most of the money goes to. Last year we did Christmas for a single mom with 3 boys. Along with money raised during the year all the members bought extra stuff for them and they had one fantastic Christmas! The meeting went a little better, but we were still missing a lot of the people who were really active last year. It is such a shame that a couple of crappy attitudes can mess up something so good. We are down from an average attendance of 15 to 20 people to an average of 5 to 10!


Of course, after the meeting we had to go check out the new LYS in Norman! Really nice shop! And the people were very friendly. We had Savy with us and she really took to the owner of the shop.....she decided next time she goes there she is going to spend the night with her...lol!

On Sunday we had a great day, too!! It was Father's Day and Guild. Family and knitting....my two very favorite things!!!




Guild was fantastic and we had a much bigger group than I expected since it was Father's Day!! Linda P did a great lesson on entrelac and the donations to our charity knitting......OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Look at this!!!

After the meeting we all headed to Amanda's and had a fantastic dinner and spent time together!! I love watching my Dad watch Savy and Dax! His face just lights up and every once in a while you can hear him chuckle! He will be 84 this year. He had a massive stroke about 15 years ago which left him with very little verbal skills. It is really amazing to watch him with his great-grandchildren! When he tries to talk to an adult he just cannot get the words out and gets so very frustrated.....but if Savy is talking to him (especially if there are no adults close by).....he can and will sometimes respond to her in complete sentences!!! I really think he could get much better if he would just do speech therapy again and work on it, but he refused to continue with it years ago and just gets really mad and upset if I try to push him to do it. He can be pretty stubborn when he wants to :-).

Far away, there in the sunshine, are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.

Louisa May Alcott

3 Comments:

  • At 5:13 AM, Blogger Linda said…

    Enjoy the new toy - you and the kids. What do they think of the BIG toy? Do they get to go?

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger Carolyn said…

    linda
    They love it!! First trip is just me, the fur-kids and DH to figure out how to work everything! After that trip, I'm sure we will have grandkids along on almost every trip...lol!

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Missy said…

    Whoa! There's a new LYS in Norman??? Where in the world have I been that I didn't hear about this? Do you have any details?

    PS: The RV looks soooo cool! That's my idea of a road trip!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home