mimiwontonknits

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

We're Back!

Amanda and I got back in Sunday afternoon from our "girl's getaway". We just had the most awesome time! It was funny....we both faithfully took our cameras along...then promptly forgot to take a single picture! Guess we were too excited about getting to the Yarn Barn and petting all the yarn...lol!

The town of Lawrence was a pleasant little surprise all in itself. The cutest downtown that was chock full of quaint little shops and restaurants. We spent the entire day there on Saturday. It is so nice to go out of town with someone that you have such a good time with! It's almost weird....we are so in-sync. We always want to go in the same shops, eat at the same places, are hungry at the same times etc. I just have a blast with her. The fact that she is my daughter is the bonus! I so love that girl :-)

We started out at about 9:30 Saturday morning and it's a good thing....that little downtown was so busy later on that there was NO parking! We spent about 4-4 1/2 hours in the Yarn Barn and both left with some goodies! I think I picked up a dozen different things and put them in my basket then would put those back and get others...lol. Decisions, decisions....they are soooo hard in a yarn store aren't they...lol! Ultimately I ended up putting everything back and getting a kit. Strange for me....I usually don't do that, but I haven't seen the Hanne Falkenburg kits before so I decided to do that. I saw another kit that I liked the design on a little better but didn't like any of the colorways they had so got the Pagode. Her designs are really neat and although this won't be a fast knit.....I'm sure it will be something I will wear a lot when I do get it done!

While we were there I wasn't in the mood to work on the Hola Blankie so I cast on the Mr. Greenjeans sweater I'm doing out of the Fiesta Boomerang that I got at Gourmet Yarn. I LOVE knitting with this yarn...so smooth and it works up so nicely! I can already tell that this sweater is going to be the fave grab and go sweater. I'm so glad I picked up a couple of the Baby Boom to do matching socks in!

The only down-side to the trip is that I came home sick :-(. I just felt like death warmed over on Monday and didn't do much of anything. Yesterday I had to get it in gear and get that halloween costume done for Miss Savy. We are heading down there in a couple of hours to go trick-or-treating with her and Mr. Daxton. I so love doing that. We have gone trick-or-treating with them every year since Savy's first year and I wouldn't miss it for the world. I'll have pics of them to post tomorrow, so you will have to wait until then to see her costume.

Ok...now the Yarn Barn review..... It was a really nice shop, but honestly....in my humble opinion......OURS ARE BETTER!!!! They did have a pretty good selection but over half of the store was dedicated to weaving and or spinning....neither of which I do....so for someone who does it all it was pretty cool....but for me....well, it was certainly worth going....and I'm glad we did, but I'm more impressed with our LYS's right here in the OKC metro! Overall, I think we have a wider selection. The employees left something to be desired there as well. We were basically ignored until we were ready to make our purchases. No one greeted us at all or offered to help in any way. I would go back there...they carry Koigu and Frog Tree which I passed up in lieu of the Hanne kit, but they had a limited choice of colors in those...especially the Koigu. Anyway...that's my 2 cents for whatever it is worth.

All-in-all it was an awesome trip and I can't wait to go somewhere with my girl again!




2 Comments:

  • At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sweater kit looks wonderful. I want to see it on you when you finish!

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Blogger Linda said…

    Can't wait to see the Mr Greenjeans. What's funny is I'm planning mine just like yours. Really - down to the color even! I've got my scarf from the Boomerang on right now and it feels sooo nice on my neck.

    SWAK carries the HF kits, unless she's discontinued them for some reason.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home