mimiwontonknits

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Stash Storage Solution!

Yes, yes, yes!!!!

I'm so excited! I have been trying to figure out a solution for my yarn storage forever! I have built in bookcases in my hobby/office space. The DAY I retired from Real Estate, I dismantled the "office" and started working on turning into a hobby room. I decided the bookcases were the best place for my stash since we are much shorter on actual floor space here and there is just no where to put bins, stackable plastic drawers, etc.


The shelves were ok.....just ok. Here is what they look like.

There are two main problems with this storage method.... One, skeins and balls tend to just fall out.....constantly! I'm always finding the odd skein or ball on the floor in front of the shelves.....I have even had the equivalent of an "avalanche" of yarn...lol!


The second problem is finding anything! I can't see what is on the bottom and in the back so if I'm looking for something in particular pretty much the whole shelf has to come down and be put back......plus, I just plain forget I have something when it's buried back there!


First thought was to have DH build cubbies into the shelves.......but it just never happened. We talked about it a lot.....but that's as far as that idea got.


I finally got online and just started looking for a solution. Took the measurements of the shelves and went from there.......and I found it.......and I LOVE IT!!!!


I only ordered one to make sure it was going to work.....and now I'm definately going to be ordering 3 more!!!! Possibly 4, depending on how everything fits. Take a look at the same shelf....with all the same yarn that was in the shelf before!!


AMAZING!!!!! It all fit and I can actually SEE what I have!!!!

5 Comments:

  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said…

    That looks like a very nice storage solution. Be sure to leave room for more yarn when you finish organizing. ; )

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    What a great idea! I wonder if they would fit in the sterio cabinet (since my shelves are STILL in boxes)

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Selena Starfire said…

    Wow - what a wonderful storage system - AND a wonderful DH!

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Blogger Terri said…

    Funny thing - today I will work on my storage issues. ha

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger CurliSu said…

    Looks wonderful! Most of my stash is in under-bed boxes which is REALLY inconvenient, so I'm intersted in looking at other options. The zero additional footprint makes this attractive - but my shelves are filled with books! Gotta thin out some stuff. Just gotta.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home